This morning, I celebrated Thanksgiving animal product-free, and I didn’t feel deprived at all. I’d prepared a vegan shells & ‘cheese’ casserole for the whole family to try and [despite some initial trepidation] they all loved it! No joke.
This is all that was left at the end of a meal:
And I was a happy girl because I got to eat the leftovers a few hours later:
The boyfriend [who joined me for the family festivities] has requested that I make this dish again very soon.
2 cups whole wheat pasta shells
5 tbsp Earth Balance
3 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 cup plain rice milk
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp Parma!
2 slices italian bread, torn into small pieces
2 cups Daiya cheddar cheese
- Prepare the pasta according to the package directions.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, grease a circular casserole dish with Earth Balance or non-dairy cooking spray.
- Melt your Earth Balance in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Once the “butter” is melted, add your whole wheat flour, pepper, and Parma!. Whisk thoroughly for one to two minutes.
- Slowly add the rice milk, whisking all the while. Continue to whisk until the roux is thickened and bubbling.
- Add the Daiya cheddar cheese. Keep stirring until the Daiya has melted evenly into the roux.
- Meanwhile, your pasta should be done and have been strained. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and disperse evenly.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese into your baking dish, top with bread pieces and a sprinkling of Parma! Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve [once cool enough to eat].